MWD Coba, a gorgeous chocolate lab, who deployed twice and served honorably in Afghanistan for two tours in 2012 and 2013. Coba served as a tactical explosives detector dog, or TEDD -- a canine who trained under a two-year-old program. Coba’s job was to sniff out bombs in combat zones. She was "man's best friend and also one of his best weapons on today's battlefield. " - She was a hero and a comfort to many soldiers.(1) (2)
|Photo from The Washington Free Beacon (5)|
Soliden Technologies LLC., according to the article below, were trying to sell the dogs to a foreign country instead of giving them to Veterans. After months, Soliden later told the Kennel handler to dispose of the dogs, which thankfully the owner of the Kennel didn’t, instead, she reached out to Mission K9 Rescue. (5) Coba’s return to the civilian world was delayed because of deception and lack of oversight for “Robby’s Law.” (6)
After what was too short of a time in retirement, MWD Coba, like so many of these military and contract working dogs, succumbed to health problems. The weekend prior to November 21st, Coba had lost the use of her legs, and Louisa rushed her to the emergency room. After some extensive testing, an inoperable tumor was discovered that had already metastasized into the bone. Louisa made the difficult decision to let Coba cross the Rainbow Bridge with dignity. Louisa was devastated.
Louisa had this to say about her sweet Coba: "She had the most amazing spirit about her and everyone who met her adored her. I wonder how life can be so cruel, and I wonder again how I will be able to heal this severely broken heart. My kids and I are so devastated and we never imagined that we would have to say goodbye to her this soon after she came into our lives.”
Please say a prayer for Louisa, her children, and Coba, and love your babies for as long as you can!
End of Watch: November 21, 2016
Let us not forget the ones who served us so well.
While companies and laws may fail these animals, we as people must not fail them. Please donate to one or more of the below.
- Mt. Hope K9 Warrior Rescue who cared for the heroes: https://www.gofundme.com/Mthopewarrior
- Mission K9 Rescue who found them forever homes: http://missionk9rescue.org/donations-to-mission-k9-rescue/
- Art Fur Paws for K9 memorial portraits: https://www.gofundme.com/artfurpaws
1) Furry Force Multiplies a big hit at NTC: https://www.army.mil/article/81948
2) War Dogs: Facts about the K-9 Corps: http://armylive.dodlive.mil/index.php/2013/03/war-dogs-facts-about-the-k-9-corps/
3) Coba: Tactical Explosive Detector Dog (T.E.D.D.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RetWN_m6iUQ
4) Abandoned Military Dogs Get Help From Rescue Groups in Houston: http://abc13.com/pets/abandoned-military-dogs-are-finally-getting-forever-homes/888367/
5) Retired Army Dogs Meant for Veterans Given to Company that Tried to Sell them to Foreign Countries: http://freebeacon.com/issues/army-wrongly-gave-retired-military-dogs-company-tried-sell-foreign-countries/
6) Robby’s Law: https://justice4tedds.com/robbyslaw/